Sunday 9 June 2013

Week 13 of the photo a day challenge

Vehicles week - this week was all about taking magazine style glossy images of vehicles, lots of editing and styling, interesting angles etc - right up my street. The only problem was it snowed heavily on the Friday night just before the vehicle week started! The photo editing app Pixlr became my best friend this week, I love it because a) it's free and b) you can change things manually like contrast, saturation etc, or use the many inbuilt filters, overlays and frames to get some great effects. All of my photos this week were edited in Pixlr.

Day 83, Sunday, the was street covered in a blanket of snow and I had a stinking cold, I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed out to take a picture and the brief had said no toys were allowed. So I asked the group admins permission to use a practise photo I had taken in the previous week. I did edit it on the Sunday though and after the seeing the picture, they let me. I was determined not to miss a day.



On Monday I took this shot of the gear stick in our car. I love how it came out when I edited it. Gear sticks were a popular subject for day 84.



Day 85's photo was taken in a petrol garage while waiting for the other half to fill up. I used the focal blur option in Pixlr to keep only the reflection in the wing mirror in focus as well as one of the colour filters



Since I catch the train to work every day I thought I should really do a train shot in vehicles week, again I used Pixlr to add a bit of focal blur and increased the saturation. One of the professional photographers in the group told me this effect as also known as 'tilt and shift' it makes things look like models.



I was really uninspired on Day 87 after a long day at work and we were on the way home when I realised I hadn't got today's shot, our car has a start/stop button rather than an ignition key, so while I was waiting for my other half to nip in the shop, I thought I'd try make the start/stop button look interesting since I was running out of time for anything else.



Friday is bin day and I took this out of the bedroom window, you can still see a bit of the snow in the bushes.



On Saturday we went out to Go Outdoors to look at the new season's tents, it was cold, but a clear day and just while we were sat outside having burgers and hotdogs for lunch from the burger van, the kids spotted this plane flying overhead. I'm pretty impressed with how it came out for an iPhone shot. I used Pixlr to increase the saturation and add the vignette.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment